Highline Education Association & Highline School District Joint Committees 2020-2021
These joint committees are established through the bargaining process. They meet several times each year to monitor and discuss aspects of our Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA.) HEA, Highline Education Association, committee members are appointed by the HEA President. HSD, Highline School District, committee members are appointed by the district administration. These groups frequently make recommendations to the Joint HEA-HSD Bargaining Teams and/or the HSD Board of Directors:
- Highline Dual Language Leadership Team - Established in Section 4.23 of the CBA, this team meets 4-6 times per year to support effective implementation of the dual-language program, including materials and resources, professional development, and training, and workload/staffing.
- HEA: Carrie Hylander (HEA Chair), Sandra Aguila, Sandy Hunt, Nalene Nguyen, Tu Dien, Yessica Silva-Woods, Gami Diaz, Nicole Grambo, Rachel Bleakney-Bailey, Salvador Gomez
- HSD: Kristin Percy-Calaff (HSD Co-Chair), Shajaira Lopez (HSD Co-Chair), Debbie Ellis, Vicki Fisher, Kelley Schottle, Adina Thea
- Highline Kindergarten Assessment Work Group - Colloquially known as the WaKIDS Committee, this workgroup is established in Section 4.24 of the CBA. They meet at least once per year to continue monitoring the implementation of TS GOLD and Kindergarten Assessment in general.
- HEA: Richard Dunn (HEA Chair), Sandra Aguila, Yazmin Gil, Dawn Elwell
- HSD: Kathy Emerick (HSD Chair)
- Highline Joint Evaluation Team (JET) - Established in Section 19.2 of the CBA, the JET meets 3-5 times per year to monitor the implementation of the PG&E system and address questions/concerns as they arise. This team also reviews and approves any PG&E support documents.
- HEA: Richard Dunn (HEA Chair), Elizabeth Beck (WEA UniServ Rep.), Ari Rodriguez, Stephanie Nelson, Carolyn Sonntag, Fatouma Elmi
- HSD: Chris Larsen (HSD CHair), Kimberly Jones, Maggie Heater, Deena Russo
- Highline Special Education Committee - Established through a Letter of Agreement (LOA), this committee meets 4-6 times per year to monitor special education issues and make recommendations to the joint bargaining teams about staffing, workload, and other mandatory subjects of bargaining.
- HEA: Edissa Jaramillo (HEA Chair), Elizabeth Beck (WEA UniServ Rep.), Erik Kory, Megan Rashard, Katie McGrew, Haley Miller, Ann Kelly
- HSD: Gaye Bungart (HSD Co-Chair), Darren Spencer (HSD Co-Chair), Robin Lamoureux, Chad Kodama, Norma Barrineau, Alicia Gaynor
- Highline Assessment Team (HAT) - Established through a Letter of Agreement (LOA), this team meets 4-6 times per year to monitor assessment issues and make recommendations to the HSD Board of Directors and/or the joint bargaining teams about assessments and assessment support.
- HEA: Sandy Hunt (HEA Chair), Joe Boyer, Grace Friedman, Emily Chapman, Jon Thumim, Kim Knopke, Daniel Ervin
- HSD: Rebekah Kim (HSD CHair), Julie Hunter, Jenniffer Reinig, Jessica Ma, Gil Parsons, Princess Garvida
- Highline Student Behavior Support Team (SBST) - Formed through a Letter of Agreement for the 2020-2022 school years, the SBST will work to address goals such as: supporting effective implementation of culturally responsive student engagement; identification and elimination of existing barriers and practices that hinder equity; and implementation of instructional strategies that minimize exclusions of students from educational environments. As a new committee, the frequency of meetings has yet to be established.
- HEA: Sandy Hunt (HEA Chair), Elizabeth Beck (WEA UniServ Rep.), Joe Bourgeois, Kiana Brisco, Natalie Dunn, Tracy Werthman, Bethany Tate, Isel Betancourt Sanchez
- HSD: Doug Judge (HSD CHair), Millicent Borishade, Simon Iniguez, Chad Kodama, Holly Ferguson ,Val Allen, Jeff Petty, Laurie Morrison
- Highline Equity and Anti-Racist Team (HEART) - Created through a Letter of Agreement for the 2020-2022 school years, the HEART is comprised of representatives from HEA, HSD administration, HSD classified staff, and community members. This team will work with other committees such as the SBST and IMC to promote anti-racist professional learning and curricula that include important events and perspectives from historically marginalized communities. This group will also develop a structure for site-based Equity Teams in Highline, and support worksites in conducting equity and anti-racist analyses. The frequency of meetings will be determined by the group.
- HEA: Shawna Moore (HEA Lead), Yvonne Walker, Jay Novelo, Amelia Swinton
- Other Committee Members: Shajaira Lopez, Sid White, Holly Ferguson, Marisa Lampert, Fred Garcia, Doyle Harper
In addition, the HEA-HSD CBA mandates HEA member involvement in the adoption of curriculum and other instructional materials. Therefore, HEA representation is needed on the following HSD Committees:
- Instructional Materials Committee (IMC) - School Districts are required by state law to have an Instructional Materials Committee to review and recommend instructional materials and curriculum adoption cycles. HEA and HSD have agreed to contract language mandating that at least 1/3 of the total members of Highline's IMC will be members of HEA's bargaining unit recommended by the HEA President for participation on the committee.
- HEA members: Celeste Borowiak, Chelsea Hinderlie, Sandy Hunt, Christina Smith, Christina Brown
- Other Committee Members: Bernard Koontz, Julie Hunter, Kathy Emerick, Gaye Bungart, Jami Haskin, Susanne Jerde, Shajaira Lopez, Jennifer Renig,
- Curriculum Adoption Committees - These are short-term committees, dependent upon curricula under review. HEA and HSD have negotiated that at least 1/2 of the members of an adoption committee will be members of HEA's bargaining unit recommended by the HEA President for participation.