An important indicator of a strong union is an engaged and active membership.
HEA Committees are critical to advancing the voice, power, and professional advocacy of our members. Members of these committees are appointed by the HEA President. Current HEA Committees are listed below in approximate order of the most time commitment to the least time commitment.
- HEA Bargaining Team - This team meets with representatives of HSD to negotiate our contract, or Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- 2019-20 members: Thara Cooper (Bargaining Chair), Elizabeth Beck (WEA UniServ Rep.), Jeb Binns, Rich Coker, Richard Dunn, Veronica Fairchild, Julie Maheiu, OPEN (Elementary Teacher), OPEN (Special Education)
- HEA Bargaining Support Team (BST) - Each worksite needs a small team, including a BST Worksite Lead, to keep every member engaged and informed about the bargaining process and what members can do to support the HEA Bargaining Team.
- 2019-20 members: Sandy Hunt (Chair), Katie Utesch (Elementary Co-chair), Gabriela Olivarez (Secondary Co-chair), Iris Guzman (Tyee), Heather Ricarte (Gregory Hts.), Christina Smith (Central Office), OPEN (all remaining worksites)
- HEA Membership Committee - This committee works to ensure that everyone who is eligible to become an HEA member is invited to do so. They also connect HEA members to issues they are passionate about and want to engage with. Members of this committee can also focus in on subsets of our membership to increase engagement within those groups; examples include: guest teachers, early career educators, dual language teachers, educators of color, special education staff.
- 2019-20 members: Debby Strayer (Chair), Sandra Aguila, Sandy Hunt, Brandice Tranholt (Contact Sandy Hunt if you are interesting in joining this committee.)
- HEA Community Coalitions Committee - The Community Coalitions Committee will support HEA members, the Representative Council and the Executive Board reach out to community partners with the goal of developing authentic and impactful relationships both within and outside the district. Responsibilities include reviewing and making recommendations to the council on expenditure requests from our Community Outreach Funds.
- 2019-20 members TBD
- HEA WEA PAC/Political Action Team - This team works to ensure that every member of HEA has been invited to join WEA PAC, WEA's Polictical Action Committee - which works to ensure that pro-public-education candidates are elected to state office. The team also helps support pro-public education lobbying efforts in the WA State Legislature and US Congress.
- 2019-20 members: Kevin Garber, Iris Guzman, Amy Hepburn, Leslie Sokolik (Contact Sandy Hunt if you are interesting in joining this committee.)
- HEA Elections Committee - This committee facilitates the nominations and elections process for HEA elections, including communicating about open positions and the voting process, as well as certifying the elections. Members of this committee cannot run for elected HEA positions while they serve on the committee.
- 2019-20 members: Debby Strayer (Chair) (Contact Sandy Hunt if you are interesting in joining this committee.)
- HEA Governing Documents Review Task Force - This task force will be charged with conducting a review of HEA's governing documents during the 2019-2020 school year. A particular area of focus for this team will be working to ensure that both the language and policies within the documents are inclusive and reflect the current needs of our members.
- 2019-20 members: Jeb Binns (Chair), Shawna Moore (Contact Sandy Hunt if you are interesting in joining this committee.)
Again, if you are interested in being more involved in union work by being appointed to a committee, please contact Sandy Hunt, HEA President.